Mission Statement for The Greek Children's Fund Affiliation with Schneider Children's Hospital *, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System
The mission of the GCF affiliation with Schneider Children’s Hospital (thereinafter referred to as SCH) is to provide financial assistance towards the daily, non-medical needs of children of Hellenic descent and their families, who receive comprehensive and advanced medical care in the New York tri-state area.
GOALS OF THE PROGRAM:
To create a program at SCH that will secure in perpetuity its services to pediatric patients of Hellenic descent who receive treatment at Schneider’s Children’s Hospital.
To provide non-medical financial assistance to pediatric patients of Hellenic descent and their families with particular needs (housing, food, daily living assistance, etc.) that are treated at SCH, in hospitals throughout the New York tri-state area, and in other locations throughout the U.S., as needed.
To provide professional bilingual/bicultural psychosocial services to families of Hellenic descent who come to SCH each year for treatment, as needed.
To establish strong ties with the Ronald McDonald House at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Medical Center and other area medical residences to provide effective housing for patients. AFFILIATION The GCF affiliation with SCH will be a program created to better serve the financial and psychosocial needs of patients of Hellenic descent who receive comprehensive and advanced medical care at SCH, at other hospitals in the New York tri-state area, or in other locations throughout the U.S., as needed. This program will be internally governed by the rules and regulations of SCH, their Department of Social Work and GCF. It will be administered under the guidance of GCF, the Executive Director of SCH and with the assistance of the Departments of Social Work, Finance and Development.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES PROVIDED:
The Greek Children’s Fund and Schneider Children’s Hospital will provide the funding for a bilingual/bicultural Greek--American social worker and program coordinator to assist in providing the following services:
• Referral service for Greek-speaking patients, both foreign and Greek-American, to physicians at Schneider Children’s Hospital.
• Interface with hospitals and organizations abroad to coordinate services as needed for patient referrals.
• Coordination of treatment course with the rest of the health care team.
• Translation services during medical staff visits.
• Education for patients and families on the disease, treatment and side effects.
• Psychological counseling and support to the patients and their families while they are undergoing treatment ad SCH.
• Assistance and funding of essential needs such as obtaining housing (referral to McDonald House, local hotels, etc.).
• Coordination of discharge from the hospital and referral to appropriate community agencies as required.
*In March 2010, Schneider Children’s Hospital was renamed Cohen Children’s Medical Center of NY, North Shore – Long Island Jewish Health System.