Establishing a National Fundraising Presence
• September 21 - American Women of Hellenic Descent in New Jersey host the Gala Benefit Dinner Dance on behalf of GCF at the Marriott at Glenpointe in Teaneck, New Jersey.
• December 14 - Second annual GCF dinner dance at the Marriott in Uniondale, NY.
• October - Third annual GCF dinner dance.
• November 22 - The P.G.E.I. Charitable Foundation of America recognizes Stanley Matthews as the Humanitarian Father of the Year, citing, "In appreciation of your unselfish devotion and dedication to the Greek and American children and their families."
• MSKCC has a closing balance of $247,982 for term endowment.
• March 20 and March 21 - Giorgos Dalaras and Demetra Galani perform at the Paramount Theater in Madison Square Garden celebrating GCF's 10th anniversary.
• July - Vassilios Papadakis, MD begins a felloship awarded by GCF to study bone marrow transplantation at MSKCC.
• October 3 - Annual GCF dinner dance at the Marriott in Uniondale, NY
• November 27 - GCF's 10th anniversary dinner dance at the Plaza Hotel
• December - GCF collects $375,000 of the $1 million necessary to create an endowment in perpetuity at MSKCC.
• GCF raises enough funds to create a term endowment at MSKCC. The organization is listed as a great benefactor of MSKCC on its Wall of Benefactors at the John D. Rockefeller Research Center. GCF is the first ethnic charity to receive this recognition from MSKCC.
• January 3 - GCF presents a $90,000 check to Julia McCormack of MSKCC. These are the proceeds from the November 27, 1993 dinner dance. The check presentation occurs during a GCF meeting at the Pancyprian Center in Astoria, NY.
• June - Dr. Papadaki's fellowship at MSKCC concludes. He leaves for Greece to continue his medical practice in October.
• June 10 - The Hellenic University Club of New York presents Stanley Matthews with the Paideia Award for his creation and leadership of the GCF. The award is presented at Tavern on the Green in New York.
• July 24 - First annual trip to Eisenhower Park in Hempstead, NY with MSKCC patients and their families.
• October 17 - Estiator magazine honors GCF and recognizes Stanley Matthews for his achievements. Tasos Manesis, a member of the Pan Gregorians of Metro New York and Long Island, presents the awards. Peter Makrias personally gives the award to Stanley Matthews.
• October 30 - GCF 11th anniversary dinner dance at the Marriott at Glenpointe in Teaneck, New Jersey. The principal speaker at the event is Dora Ziongas and the special guest is Elpida Hatzivasileiou.
• January - Vasilopita Party for the patients and their families takes place at Whitestone Billiards in Whitestone, NY.
• February 19 - Demetris Kastanas hosts Telethon and NGTV raises approximately $220,000 for GCF.
• July 23 - Second annual trip to Eisenhower Park in Hempstead, NY with MSKCC patients and their families.
• December 3 - 12th annual GCF dinner dance at the Marriott at Glenpointe in Teaneck, New Jersey. GCF honors the P.G.E.I. of America Charitable Foundation, Inc.
• December 17 - National Greek Television telethon raises approximately $210,000 for GCF.
• December 31 - GCF's term endowment at MSKCC has $550,000 of the $1 million needed to create a self-sustaining endowment.
• June 3 - The Naussau-Suffolk Diner Restaurant Owners Association, Inc. recognizes Stanley Matthews and GCF.
• October 9 - Greek entertainers Glykeria, Giannis Zouganelis, Isidora Sideri and Kostas Kantzoglou attend a GCF meeting at the Pancyprian center in Astoria, NY. They discuss GCF's mission and how entertainers from Greece can assist in raising funds and awareness about the plight of Greek patients.
• November 9 - AHEPA 5th District honors Stanley Matthews and GCF.
• December 8 - GCF annual dinner dance at the Marriott at Glenpointe in Teaneck, New Jersey. Approximately $250,000 is raised at this event.
• December 21 - GCF Christmas Party at the Greek Consulate in NY.
• February 16 - National Greek Television (NGTV) Telethon to benefit GCF.
• September 28 - National Greek Television (NGTV) Telethon to benefit GCF.
• October 2 - Concert of Hope Press Conference at the John D. Rockefeller Research Center at MSKCC.
• October 4 - Concert of Hope at Madison Square Garden.
• October 4 - Madison Square Garden recognizes Stanley Matthews, Sam S. Matthews, Christos S. Karnessis and the GCF committee for "Making the Concert of Hope a monumental success" and the most successful ethnic concert at Madison Square Garden.
• 1997 - Pan Gregorians of New Jersey 10th Annual Dinner Ball takes place. They raise money for GCF among other causes at this event.
• January 14 - Event acknowledging GCF volunteers for their work on the Concert of Hope. Julia McCormack of MSKCC gives honorary plaques to each volunteer.
• May 17 - GCF Dinner Dance celebrating its 15th anniversary and honoring Greek singer Giorgos Dalaras at the Marriott at Glenpointe in Teaneck, NJ.
• August - GCF partners with AHEPA to organize a trip to Disney World for the GCF patients.
• 1998 - "Hope for Life" the Young Adult Division of the GCF is formed.
• October 20 - Press conference takes place to announce relationship with Schneider Children's Hospital in New Hyde Park, NY.
• February 21 - Telethon of Hope reaches out to the Greek diaspora community worldwide with the assistance of Antenna Satellite. This event raises $750,000 for GCF.
• March 7 - Pan Gregorian Enterprises, Inc. of Metro NY and LI honors Stanley Matthews and the GCF committee.
• March 9 - The U.S. House of Representatives recognizes GCF with the Congressional Record.
• March 25 - New Jersey Governor Christie Todd Whitman recognizes GCF with a formal ceremony in the New Jersey State legislature.
• December 6 - Cavo Cafe Lounge hosts its first fundraiser to benefit GCF.
• December 12 - GCF annual dinner dance honoring Antenna Satellite TV at the Marriott at Glenpointe in Teaneck, NJ.
• December - A total of $1,522,166 is in the MSKCC endowment fund.
• March 9 - GCF recognized with a Congressional Record.